Are Nanit baby monitors HSA/FSA eligible?
From the moment you brought your tiny bundle home from the hospital, you’ve been on a mission to make the best choices for your new arrival. Healthy food, safe and comfy bedding, stroller, car seat, cozy sleepers… the list of must-have baby gear goes on and on. You’ll give your little one anything that makes their nursery a safe haven—but it can definitely put a dent in your wallet.
As a smart shopper, you’ve probably wondered Are baby monitors HSA/FSA eligible? The short answer is yes, with some exceptions. For instance, traditional audio-only baby monitors may not be one of the eligible items. However, modern baby monitors that also track breathing and vital signs—like the Nanit Pro Camera—are considered health and safety-related, making them HSA/FSA eligible. In this article, we’ll discuss what makes a baby monitor qualify for FSA or HSA dollars, and how to use your HSA/FSA funds to get the best monitor for your baby.
What is the Nanit Pro Camera?
Before we dig into the details of HSA and FSA funds, let’s take a closer look at one of the best investments you can make with your healthcare dollars: the Nanit Pro Camera.
Many new parents aren’t sure if they truly need a baby monitor. Many modern baby monitors offer both sound and video options, along with basic additional features, such as two-way audio, nightlights and white noise with bonus lullabies, and room temperature monitoring. The Nanit Pro Camera goes above and beyond with smart features, including:
- High-quality HD video streaming for the clearest peek into your baby’s world
- Real-time sound and motion alerts, allowing you to avoid false alarms without missing a thing
- Two-way audio to monitor your baby from anywhere in the house
- Detailed sleep and movement tracking, as well as personalized sleep reports, to help your baby get optimal rest
- Safe and secure network that allows you to stay connected to your baby, without putting private data at risk
- Developmental Milestones tracking for your baby's wellness and development (plus auto captured cute videos to share with loved ones)
- Breathing motion monitoring for peace of mind (great for newborns, transitioning into the nursery, and for getting your own rest)
Nanit puts these features at your fingertips with an easy-to-use app that installs on your phone or tablet—no need to carry a clunky dedicated unit around the house with you. If you know where to place a baby monitor for optimal viewing, you’ll be able to stay connected when you leave the baby with a caregiver, while you’re running errands or working, or enjoying a much-needed date night.
Are baby monitors HSA/FSA eligible?
Now that you know how the Nanit Pro Camera works, let’s move on to logistics: Are baby monitors HSA eligible? How about FSA? To answer these questions, let’s review what HSAs and FSAs are:
- A health savings account (HSA) is a savings fund that helps consumers who have high-deductible healthcare plans set aside pre-tax money for medical expenses.
- A flexible spending account (FSA) is a savings account that also lets you save pre-tax money for healthcare, but isn’t connected to your health insurance plan.
Put simply, both HSAs and FSAs let you spend your money on healthcare-related items. However, not all baby monitors are eligible items. Audio-only monitors aren’t considered related to the health of the baby. This means they can’t be purchased with HSA/FSA funds.
So, how do you choose a baby monitor that’s FSA approved? Find a higher-end monitor that provides safety features and health information—most are considered wellness items. Many manufacturers will also specify that their items are HSA/FSA eligible. However, plans can differ, so it’s best to contact your plan administrator before purchasing a monitor to confirm what yours will cover.
Why should you use HSA/FSA funds for a baby monitor?
The best reason to use your HSA/FSA funds to purchase a baby monitor is to help you afford a high-quality monitor that provides comprehensive sleep and wellness data.
Basic audio-only monitors are the most affordable option, but they have major drawbacks. The most obvious one is that you’ll only hear your baby, not see them. This can cause unnecessary worry since every sound (or lack thereof) will have you unnecessarily traipsing back and forth to the nursery all night.
On the other hand, video monitors enable you to check on your baby at any time—from your mobile device. Smart monitors like the Nanit Pro Camera go even further, with an immediate alert if it detects an issue with your baby’s breathing motion. This doesn’t just keep your baby safer—it also lets you rest easier. In fact, parents who use monitors that track breathing and heart rate report significantly lower anxiety and better sleep.
How do you purchase a baby monitor with HSA/FSA funds?
Using your HSA/FSA money isn’t complicated, but it can help to know how to navigate the process step-by-step. Here are some general tips for using HSA/FSA account to make purchases:
- Confirm eligibility. Before purchasing, contact your insurer or healthcare FSA/HSA account administrator and check that the type of monitor you’ve chosen is covered.
- Keep your receipts. Some accounts require you to pay for the purchase out of pocket, and then submit your receipt or order confirmation for HSA/FSA reimbursement. You may also need purchase documentation at tax time.
- Use your HSA/FSA card directly. Some accounts issue a debit card that you can use at the time of purchase. Even if you use your card to pay, save your receipt or order confirmation in case proof of purchase is required later.
Get safety, savings, and serenity with Nanit
HSA/FSA money lets you stretch your dollar further while making the best choices for your baby’s safety and security. To be sure you’re giving your baby the best in monitoring technology and that you’re taking advantage of your HSA/FSA funds, select Nanit.
Our baby monitor camera and accessories, such as the Floor Stand, Breathing Wear, and more are all FSA and HSA-eligible products. We’re committed to making innovative, high-quality baby monitoring technology accessible and affordable for all families. You can view our collection of what other Nanit products are HSA/FSA eligible: Nanit HSA/FSA Approved Products.
- Baby monitors like the Nanit Pro Camera, which provides comprehensive features such as video streaming, real-time alerts, two-way audio, sleep tracking, and secure connectivity, are eligible for HSA (Health Savings Account) and FSA (Flexible Spending Account) funds because they are considered health and safety-related devices.
- Not all baby monitors qualify for HSA/FSA coverage, so it's important to choose a monitor with safety features and health-related functions to ensure eligibility. Manufacturers may specify if their monitors are HSA/FSA eligible, but it's advisable to check with your plan administrator for confirmation.
- Using HSA/FSA funds to purchase a high-quality baby monitor can enhance the safety, security, and well-being of your baby. Smart monitors like the Nanit Pro provide peace of mind by offering advanced features like breathing motion detection, reducing parental anxiety, and promoting better sleep for both parents and babies.
FSA Store. Baby Breathing Monitor: FSA Eligibility. https://fsastore.com/fsa-eligibility-list/b/baby-breathing-monitor
National Institutes of Health. The difference between a flexible spending account (FSA) and a health savings account (HSA). https://hr.nih.gov/about/news/benefits/difference-between-flexible-spending-account-fsa-and-health-savings-account-hsa
NPJ Digital Medicine. Digital health tools to support parents with parent-infant sleep and mental well-being. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9772418/